Wednesday, January 13, 2021

Aftermath

When I realized that day that I had forgotten something, my first instinct was to try to remember. I knew that something was deeply strange about her, and I have always believed that something was out there more than our world, but I was not yet ready to believe that I myself had gone through such an encounter. I was certain that whatever I had lost, it was something I could recover.

It took me years to accept that I was wrong.

There are so many things we lose throughout our lives. The worst, however, are those we forget: sentences that slip our minds before we can speak them, stories we wrote long ago and cannot find again, songs of which we remember only fragments. These are the pieces we lose when we are broken apart.

No comments:

Post a Comment