Sunday, January 17, 2021

A conversation with my parents

My parents had me over for dinner yesterday. They could tell that I wanted to say something, but I was unsure of how to broach the subject—“hello, Mom and Dad, I’m afraid I may have a sister who was erased from our memories by a woman with pure white eyes?”

Perhaps fortunately, I did not have to do so.

My mom spoke first.
 
“James, I’m sorry.”

She had tears in her eyes.

“I’m sorry about Susan. It wasn’t your fault. You know that, right?”
 
“I know, Mom,” I said. “I know.”

“What is it, James?” Dad asked, placing his hand on mine. “You look like you have something to say.”
 
My throat felt tight.
 
“I… I don’t remember her,” I finally managed to say.
 
“What?”
 
“I don’t remember her,” I said again. “I don’t know why not. It's like she’s been taken from my memories. And it scares me.”
 
Mom and Dad looked at each other.
 
“Son,” Dad said, “do you… do we need to take you to a therapist, or…?”

“I don’t know,” I said. “I don’t… don’t know. Maybe.” I sighed. “You know, I saw this woman, the night she disappeared. A pale woman with pure white eyes. And I swear to God, I had this sense that something was wrong afterwards, that there was something missing, and I think it’s her. I think she took Susan from me. I know this sounds insane, but it’s true. Or it’s something I truly experienced, at least. I don’t know if it’s real. I don’t know what to think anymore.”
 
That night, I dreamed of pale white eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment